- What personal information do we collect?
- Why do we collect personal information and how do we use it?
- To whom do we disclose your Personal Information?
- Where do we store your Personal Information?
- How may you obtain access to your Personal Information?
- How do we protect your Personal Information?
- Privacy and our Platform
- Further information
What Personal Information Do We Collect?
We collect the following types of Personal Information when you visit or use the Platform:
- Registration Information. When you sign up for a user account, we may ask you to provide Personal Information such as your name, location, email address etc.
- User Support Information. We may collect Personal Information through your communications with our user support and outreach teams to respond to your inquiries, improve our Platform and offer you the Platform.
Why Do We Collect Personal Information and How Do We Use It?
We use Personal Information for the following reasons:
- To display your profile, posts and comments on the Platform in accordance with the settings you have selected.
- To ensure that content from the Platform is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer or other device.
- To provide you with information or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To notify you about changes to our Platform and provide you with information that may be relevant to your use of the Platform.
- To create Aggregated Information.
- For additional purposes that may be identified at or before the time that the Personal Information is collected, or that you subsequently consent to.
Without limitation, we use Aggregated Information that we produce for the following purposes:
- To better understand how users use the Platform to allow us to continually improve and expand the Platform.
To Whom Do We Disclose Your Personal Information?
From time to time, we may disclose your Personal Information to:
- vendors and service providers including organizations or individuals retained by SIKU to perform functions on its behalf such as surveying, data processing, document management, and office services;
- any third party or parties, where you consent to such disclosure or where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example, if you assign stewardship of certain posts to a third party project, organization, or individual through the Platform);
- as permitted by, and to comply with, any foreign and domestic legal or regulatory requirements or provisions; and
- as consented to by you from time to time, including to fulfill any other purposes that are identified when the Personal Information is collected from you.
We do not rent, sell, or share Personal Information about you with other people or companies for any other purposes.
Where Do We Store Your Personal Information?
Your Personal Information is stored in locations and on servers located in Canada, controlled by SIKU, and located either at our offices or at the offices of our service providers. By submitting Personal Information, you agree to this storage and processing of your Personal Information. You acknowledge and agree that while your Personal Information is in a jurisdiction it may be accessed by the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of that jurisdiction in accordance with the laws applicable in that jurisdiction.
How You May Obtain Access to Your Personal Information
Upon your written request, subject to certain exceptions, SIKU will inform you of the existence, use, and disclosure of your Personal Information and will give you access to that information. Access requests should be sent to our Privacy Officer using the contact information below.
There are a few instances where we may not be able to provide some of the Personal Information we hold, including:
- if it is subject to solicitor-client or litigation privilege;
- if it contains references to other individuals;
- if it cannot be disclosed for legal, security, or commercial proprietary reasons; or
- if it is prohibitively costly to provide.
Your Personal Information will be retained in accordance with SIKU's policies and procedures for storing Personal Information; however you may request in writing to the address below for the earlier deletion of your Personal Information (where reasonably practical).
How Do We Protect Your Personal Information?
To help protect the confidentiality of your Personal Information, SIKU employs physical, administrative and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of your Personal Information. Where Personal Information is sent to a third party for processing we require that all Personal Information is kept secure. Please be aware though that, despite these efforts, no security measures are perfect and no systems are impenetrable. Particularly if you are using the password-protected areas of the Platform, your privacy can be enhanced by taking care to use suitably strong passwords that others cannot guess, that are kept safe by you, and that are not re-used on other websites. Taking steps like avoiding dictionary words or proper names and adding extra character and punctuation marks can also help protect you. If you believe your password has been compromised, you should change it immediately.
Retention and Storage
Your Personal Information is stored on secure servers located in Canada.
Except as otherwise permitted or required by applicable law or regulation, we will only retain your Personal Information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
Privacy and our Platform
When you browse or use our Platform, you should be aware of the following activities:
- Online Communications - Visitors may voluntarily submit Personal Information to us for purposes such as asking a question, obtaining information, or reviewing or downloading a publication.
- Electronic Communications - Occasionally, in compliance with Canada's Anti-Spam Law (CASL), we may send electronic communications to you with information that may be useful to you, including information about SIKU and other third parties with whom we have a relationship. We will include instructions on how to unsubscribe and inform us of preferences if you decide you do not want to receive any future e-mails from SIKU. Such preferences may also be expressed by e-mailing our Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and the electronic addresses you wish to have removed from our database. Please note, however, that in certain circumstances, SIKU may be required or empowered by law to send you certain important electronic messages notwithstanding an earlier unsubscribe request.
- Links - Our Platform may contain links to other websites which are provided as a convenience only. Visitors are advised that other third party websites may have different privacy policies and practices than SIKU, and SIKU has no responsibility for such third party websites.
- Children's Privacy - We do not knowingly collect, maintain, or use Personal Information from children under 13 years of age, and no part of our Platform is directed to children under the age of 13. If you learn that your child has provided us with Personal Information without your consent, you may alert us at email@example.com. If we learn that we have collected any Personal Information from children under 13, we will promptly take steps to delete such information and terminate the child's account.
The Arctic Eider Society
House 408B Box 174